Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I have so much to be thankful for...

It's the day before Thanksgiving and I have so much that I am thankful for. But this year, I'm especially thankful for my mother.  She has always believed in me, loved me in spite of my headstrong and even sometimes defiant attitudes, and never gave up on me.  She brought us to church when we were children and made sure that we were there every time the church doors were open.  She had a lot of problems in her life, issues, hang-ups, quirks, attitudes - don't we ALL?  But she has ALWAYS been there for me and kept on trusting in God no matter what.  Thank You God, that You chose HER to be MY mother.  Here she is with both of my sons at Tony's wedding this past summer.    
Picture
Tony, mom, and Aaron


Anyway, I'm so grateful for all of my family and just wanted to take a few minutes to say so.  We don't normally get together on Thanksgiving day because my sister and her family go to Canton to see her husband's family and my son Tony and his wife and children go to her side of the family for the actual turkey day.  So, for the last 5 or 10 years or so, we have been getting together either on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving.  It's not that big of a deal to me - because it's all about being with family and loved ones anyways - so I would much rather wait until they can all be there rather than try to rush through dinner, or have someone now show up at all.

Last year on Thanksgiving day, mother invited me to come and have dinner with her!  She cooked a big spread and it was just her and I.  We had such a nice time just talking the afternoon away.  We might do it again this year - except that she has a touch of the flu or something and is not sure that I should come there.

Families are very special and we take them for granted - don't we?  We never know when a holiday season with a loved one might be our last - so we shouldn't take anything for granted.  Take time this Thanksgiving to tell the people in YOUR family how thankful you are and how much they mean to you.  

No comments: